As we come to the close of another year, this is the perfect time to reflect on your homeschool, imagine the possibilities, set goals, and take action.
Here are five steps to help you craft your best homeschool year.
We encourage you to go through this process as you finish each semester; however, the frequency is up to you.
Step 1: Reflect
Reflect on the last homeschool year or the last 12 weeks and answer the following questions.
- How did you see the past homeschool year going?
- What were your plans or goals for the past homeschool year if you had any?
- What disappointments/regrets did you experience in your homeschool this past year?
- What did you feel you should have been acknowledged for in your homeschool but weren’t?
- What did you accomplish this past year in your homeschool that you were most proud of?
- What were the major lessons you learned this past year in regard to your homeschool?
Step 2: Imagine
Now let’s take some time to imagine the next semester of your homeschool year. Set your timer (use your cellphone, etc.) for five-fifteen minutes. For the next fifteen minutes, complete this statement: “This homeschool year would be great if….”
- What would you like to accomplish in your homeschool in the next 3 months?
- What would you like to accomplish in your homeschool in the next 6 months?
- What would you like to accomplish in your homeschool in the next year?
- What would you like to accomplish in your homeschool in the next 3 years?
Step 3: Assess
Looking at each child individually and your homeschool collectively. What would you like to accomplish by the end of your child’s homeschool career?
Step 4: Set Goals
Choose three goals that would have the MOST positive impact in your homeschool. What are they? As you plan your new goals, don’t forget to look at your regrets and see if there are hidden opportunities in them. Make your goals S.M.A.R.T: Specific, Measurable, Actionable, Relevant, and Time-Bound.
Step 5: Execute & Evaluate
Now that you have set your goals, it’s time to execute with an action plan. Make a point to regularly review your goals (at least once a week) and track your progress towards them. Create a vision board! EPIC is hosting a digital vision board party that you can check out here. Finally, consider joining accountability groups like EPIC’s No Mommy Left Behind Group to help encourage you towards your goals.
Get Your Best Homeschool Year Goals Workbook for free here.
One thought on “5 Steps to Your Best Homeschool Year”