Are you running around with your head chopped off? Have you found yourself wondering “What did I get myself into?” Have you recently asked the question “Am I stressed or blessed?” when it comes to homeschooling?
I was at a GHEA Conference a few years ago when I heard a speaker Sharon Grimes talk about how to avoid being stressed out. As I reviewed my notes I realize that this was something I needed to revisit and share with everyone.
10 Ways to Avoid Homeschool Stress
- Don’t neglect your morning manna.
- No Bible then No Breakfast/Facebook/TV
- Keep the right relationship with your family
- Your Spouse- have a regular date time together and be creative NOT expensive, have a “weekend to remember” once a year.
- Your Children- remember that children ARE your MOST important work.
- Remember WHY you are homeschooling.
- Deuteronomy 6:4-7- If we don’t teach our children to follow Christ, the world will teach them NOT to.
- Choose curriculum that will work for YOU and for EACH child.
- There is no such thing as the “PERFECT” curriculum. Pray and ask God to help you
- Jeremiah 33:3.
- What are your homeschool goals?
- What is your child’s learning style?
- What is your budget?
- Control your curriculum and don’t let it control you!
- Schedule your priorities FIRST; Then just say NO!
- Get the book “Freedom from the Tyranny of the Urgent” by Charles Hummel
- Every time you say “yes” to something outside the home you are saying “no” to something inside.
- Discipline your children.
- Proverbs 1:7,8
- Discipline YOURSELF! Get Organized!
- Plan your menus a week in advance
- Homeschool year round
- Plan in pencil.
- Be Flexible!
- Don’t be so structure and organized that you don’t put people first.
- Only Christ was perfect
- Don’t let your housework become overwhelming.
- Train your children to help you
- “401 Ways to Get Your Kids to Work at Home” by Bonnie Runyan McCullough
- Find Support!! Don’t isolate yourself.
As I typed this up I was reminded that I am blessed to homeschool my children. They are God’s gift to me and I will appreciate it everyday!
How do you avoid being stressed out in homeschooling?